The new office for Victoria Hamer Architects (VHA) was initially a site covered with a single story 1920's red brick factory, with a skinny 5.0m vacant site along the north side. Keeping the existing shell of the brick factory, VHA completely transformed the interior, and added another 2 levels.
The Ground Floor now comprises the Entry space that services VHA's office, and the 2 level Apartment above. Blockwork, exposed steel, exposed bondek ceilings with cable trays used for lighting and high ceilings are utilised throughout the Ground Floor interior to keep within the industrial characteristics of the existing red brick factory. The rear of the Ground Floor houses a generous 3 car Garage and Storage Rooms.
VHA's office area pushes out into the northern vacant site, now a Garden Area, on the Ground Floor. Part of the new Garden Area that fronts on to Lancashire Lane has been designed so that there can be another carpark for a visitor or Client.
The Apartment, accessed by lift and staircase, comprises 2 Bedrooms, Bathroom, Main Bedroom WIR and Ensuite, Study/TV room, Laundry and plunge pool on the First Floor. There are Decks from the Main Bedroom and Study/TV Room that overlook the Ground Floor Garden Area.
The Living, Kitchen & Pantry, Dining and Powder Room are located on the Second Floor with use of Decks to the East and West which take advantage of the 270 degree views to the city skyline and North Melbourne Town Hall.